Thursday, July 15, 2010

Great (work-related) News!

This week I received some wonderful news on a pro bono case I've been working on.  My client, a woman from Africa, was seeking asylum in the United States.  Over the last thirty years, she has suffered horrible persecution for opposing the unequal treatment of women in her home country.  After a bit of an emotional roller coaster ride, we found out that she was granted asylum!!  Now, rather than being forced to return to Africa, where she faced almost certain torture and death, she can remain in the US.      

The timing of the decision was amazing -- in addition to exigent circumstances, she happened to be at our office when we received the call from the asylum office.  I can't even begin to describe what a wonderful feeling it was to see our client's reaction and share that joy with her in person.  So that I could look back at that moment and remember how I felt, I went back to my office and wrote down the first things that popped in my head: overjoyed, elated, thrilled, relieved, jumping for joy, ecstatic, thankful, grateful. 

I wish I could share more details about my client and her story because she is truly an inspiration.  My life has been enriched having gotten to know and help her.  It was totally worth going to law school just to be able to help her. 

And my sweet mom brought me a super delicious red velvet cupcake from the newly-opened Sprinkles to congratulate me. (yum!)   

(photo: sprinkles)

4 comments:

  1. How very rewarding! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous news! Congratulations!

    (I cupcakes!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops- I love cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you and your desire to help this lady. She will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers! Way to go Em!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!